Tuesday, January 13, 2009

essay #1 final draft

"Karma, my personal (not religious) belief"

Over the years many beliefs and ideas have influenced the way I act and/or think throughout my day to day. These beliefs may be based upon religion, beliefs relating to my own personal morals and values, or simply based on how I perceive the events happening around me. A belief that I have found myself becoming more fond of and finding more relevant in my life throughout my most recent years is the idea of karma. The main principal of this belief is basically that you will get what’s coming to you, good or bad, based on your actions and how you treat others. I have been aware of this concept for quite some time, but only recently has it become more relevant and undeniably true to me.

There are a number of instances I could give which perfectly demonstrate karma in my life. For example, just a few weeks ago I was sitting at home feeling quite unproductive. I decided to go out on a jog so I could feel better about moping around doing nothing all day. So I changed into some workout gear, laced up my shoes and was off. About half-way through my run I found myself jogging by a small station wagon, and sitting there leaning up against the car was a clean, new-looking Ride snowboard with bindings. I noticed that as far as I could see in any direction, there was no one to be seen. Now I must admit that at this point I was a little tempted to snatch myself a little early Christmas present, however, my guilty conscience getting the best of me, I just kept on running thinking how upset I would be if my snowboard were to magically disappear. As I approached that station wagon on my way back home I saw a young guy struggling to fit the board in his trunk. As I was passing by he stopped me, looking slightly frustrated but mostly unconcerned and said, “hey man, want a free snowboard?” Of course I gladly accepted, took my free snowboard and bindings and went on my merry way.

To me this is a perfect example of karma. The thought of committing a bad deed and stealing a random, unsuspecting person’s snowboard had crossed my mind, but I made the right choice and look what happened in return; I ended up with the snowboard anyways. Now many people would just say something like ‘oh that’s just a weird coincidence’, but that is just one of many stories I could share where a similar event took place. To me, that story is irrefutable evidence that karma is active in my life.

In some sense, karma allows someone to have a little control over what happens in their life. If someone were to go around stealing out of people’s purses and being a jerk all day for example, then according to my belief in karma that person would get what’s coming to them and perhaps get stolen from themselves. Likewise, a person who is dedicated to being friendly and helpful to others will in return be treated similarly due to good karma. Therefore, the choices I make one day I believe to directly relate to the nature of the events that will happen to me in days to come.

Of my many beliefs, karma is one of the most significant that I see in my day to day. Constantly I notice people getting what they deserve based upon their actions, whether good or bad. For that reason, I strive to treat others how I would like to be treated myself. Therefore, I can conclude that my belief in karma helps me to be a nicer, friendlier person than I might be otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment