Sunday, January 25, 2009

Essay 2 rough draft start

A hero is someone who puts others above themselves, and when thrown into a tough circumstance can react and make good decisions quickly. Thinking about this definition, one group of people instantly comes to mind: United Staten soldiers. When the word hero is mentioned, I instantly think of our country’s armed services, whether it be the Navy, Marines, Army, or Air Force. Every man and woman in these branches are heroes in my opinion, for they would all lay down their lives for their fellow comrades and are trained on a daily basis to be quick and decisive when the time of duty calls. One man in particular who portrays these qualities and is both a hero, and great friend of mine. His name is Mikah King and he serves as a DEO in the US Navy.

Mikah has been a friend of mine for a few years, however, I have spent a fairly limited amount of time with him due to him being gone for over 2 years in service. Before he first left for boot camp about 2 and a half years ago, Mikah was a completely different person than he is now. He was into some unhealthy habits related to drug use and not enrolled in school. Basically, I couldn’t tell where he was going with his life, but then I found out he was joining the navy and already had a date scheduled to leave. Although I was sad to hear my friend would be leaving, I couldn’t help but be proud and think that choosing this path was going to overall be a good choice for Mikah. And boy was it the right choice, for Mikah has excelled in the navy and set himself apart as a hero in my eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment